Sunday, February 12, 2012

How to Make Your Own Laundry Soap

I will have to admit, I was just like you probably are right now. I can sense your skepticism. Make your own laundry soap...enough for 1 YEAR?! Unheard of! Ridiculous! It has to be a SCAM! Right?!

Wrong.

It really is a legit deal. I made some, and I am LOVING it. It's super convenient, and to be honest with you, I feel like my clothes are softer..and cleaner! (Probably thanks to the Oxi-Clean, I am guessing.)
AND, you only use 1-2 TABLESPOONS per load. (2 TBSP if it is a large load, or extremely soiled.) That just goes to show you how much "filler" is in commercial laundry soaps.
Isn't it pretty?! I added a couple of scent boosters just for the heck of it, but that is completely optional. I am a "Couponer" and I ALWAYS have coupons for Downy Unstopables or Gain Fireworks, so I added them. I originally added the Gain Fireworks scent, which are the pink grains you see there. It was an okay scent, but I prefer a "clean" smell, so I opted to add the Downy Unstopables Fresh Scent. In hindsight, I probably would have just gone with the Downy instead, but I figured a little extra scent booster wouldn't hurt a thing, and it doesn't! :)
I also decided to drag out my trusty Silhouette Cameo (Seriously the BEST little machine I have ever had!), and I made a cute sign out of vinyl for the front.

OK, so here is what you will need:
1 Glass Apothecary jar. I used a 2 Gallon one. I found it at Wal-mart in the kitchen supply section.
Scent booster *Optional


Borax...what is Borax??! Heck if I know. I found this recipe on Being Creative Blog, and she added it. I am no chemist, so I decided to stick with her plan, for the most part.

3 bars of Fels-Naptha. (As you can see, Millions of Women insist on it. Who am I to argue?)
Now, here is a handy little tip: Get out your food processor and your GRATER attachment and GRATE the Fels-Naptha bars. THEN switch to your regular food processor blade to break down the soap shavings further. (Don't bother to add your scent booster to the processor. Those things are made out of steel apparently, and you will NOT be able to chop them up any more. Save yourself the time. They are small enough anyway.)
Baking Soda, because EVERYONE knows that baking soda cleans just about everything...and deodorizes too!
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Oxi-Clean because it SERIOUSLY does get the stains out. I swear by the spray stain remover. I tried that Totally Toddler Stain Remover spray when my kids were babies and quickly switched to Oxi-Clean. Billy Mays did know what he was talking about when it came to this stuff.
I found everything in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart, with the exception of the apothecary jar, which was in the kitchen supplies. If you are really smart, you will get it at Hobby Lobby when they have it on sale, or they have their 40% Off coupon.
Now all you have to do is put it in your apothecary jar, and mix it up! (It is easiest if you layer it though, to make mixing easier.)

Aren't you frugal?! AND you don't have to even THINK about laundry soap for about a year!! Woohoo! Check out the HowDoesShe Blog as well. They did the financial breakdown for you, if you are interested. (HOWEVER, always remember to USE YOUR COUPONS if you want ultimate savings!)

Click the link below to print out a grocery list so you won't forget anything :)
Enjoy doing laundry with your super thrifty frugal self!

MYO Laundry Soap Grocery List

1 Box of Borax (4 lb. 12 oz.)

1 Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lb.)

1 Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3 lb. 7 oz.)

3 Bars of Fels-Naptha soap

Oxi-Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs. total )
1 bottle of Downy Unstopables or Gain Fireworks Scent Booster (13.2 oz.)

1 Glass Apothecary Jar (2 Gallon)

(And don't forget your vinyl and transfer tape if you are making a cute sign for the front!)

6 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to do this but I am the one who is skeptical. If you say it is amazing then I will believe you. Only question....will it work for HE?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't have an HE washer but you should be fine if you run a cycle of vinegar through it once a month or so.
    I found this statement, among others, in regards to this ---"Yes it is safe in an HE machine. I personally don’t have an HE machine but I know that this specific recipe has been used in an HE machine without any problems what-so-ever (I’ve given so much out to friends and family to try). HE machines need a detergent that is low sudsing. This recipe does not make any suds so it works really well."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made this soap and it works great but it does have a tendency to clump together in the jar. Like a rock. We have to get a wooden spoon or screwdriver out to break it up occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While you may properly possess the talents of designing, somebody does even now should sew the attire to create your technology a reality. Some inside the eye-catching objects stocked up by Isabel Marant Dress. This may properly telephone call for producing a cease with a attire store to evaluation the sewing options for you. This could also provide you with the probability to seek help from straight getting a artist to create any alterations and minor modifications in detail you may properly have overlooked. Your trip will also permit you to definitely compile the advertising price of sewing it. The certainly specific concern concerning the brand brand is its ability to stand out by method of the crowd with its one-of-a-kind design & desire collection. Sizes, colors, styles and prints are plentiful & plethoric!
    cccccxxzzdf isabel marant dicker boot

    ReplyDelete