Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Crayon Hearts

Apparently I am on a Crayon kick, thanks to the Crayon wreath yesterday. It got me thinking about all of the crayons we have lying around the house.. especially the broken ones. Addison and Macyn both love to color, but since they are only 1 & 3, well they leave them lying on the floor a lot. I end up stepping on more than my fair share of crayons. (At least the ones that Dixie, our Boxer, doesn't eat.) So as a solution to our Crayon problem, I figured we could make these Crayon Hearts!

*** I thought this was a solution until we came back from Nannie's house, and Macyn apparently forgot these were crayons and not candy! It took her two bites to realize they were really yuck.

First thing you need to do is to peel of all of the paper. Addison liked helping with this part. I usually don't let her peel the paper off, so this previously "forbidden" act was tons of fun for her.
Then break them up into small pieces and place them into a baking mold. Make sure it is oven-safe! If you don't have a silicone shape mold, you can use a mini muffin tin.
Place the desired colors together.
Place them in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Once they firm up, they should just pop right out of the molds, and are ready to use! (You can put the tray into the freezer if you are impatient...like me. Just make sure it's in there level, otherwise you will have a colored mess in your freezer.)
These are the perfect size for little hands to hold.
MK really liked them and did NOT want to share.

And here is the look I got when I told her she had to. This looks JUST like her Daddy.
Of course the pink and purple one is Addison's favorite!

-Amber

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Mason and I will have to make these. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete