Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Indoor S'mores made with leftover Easter candy!

***No actual Bunnies or Chicks were harmed in the making of this recipe!*** :)

We had a great Easter this year, but the Easter Bunny brought TOO MUCH CANDY!! We can also thank my sister Heather, as usual, who hid 220 candy filled eggs! :) Since the girls were so sugared up on Sunday, I decided to put up the extra candy, and I have been just giving them a little here and there. There is no way that I am giving them a whole chocolate bunny again though. Addison had one from Nannie, and she was bouncing off the walls and talking so fast, I had a hard time understanding her!

So, it got me thinking... what to do with all of this candy? I mean, I guess I could just take the easy way out and throw it away, but that would be such a shame. (I DID throw away all of the fruity, taffy candies though....'cause they ain't chocolate!) And then of course, I could just sit around and eat it, but I like to make things more complicated than that!
How about something a little more creative?? Well, my friend Amber posted a recipe on her blog, Lotus & Honey, not too long ago and I thought I would give it a try, but instead of using the regular ingredients, I used Easter Candy--Chocolate bunnies and Peeps!

Here is what you will need. You can use a variation of this.. whatever chocolate candies you have will work. If you have a gazillion individually wrapped ones, well unwrap them and let's get started. Just make sure you have marshmallows and chocolate.
Step 1: Melt the butter in a LARGE pot on the stove. (You will be adding a whole box of cereal to this later, so make sure you pot is big enough.)
Step 2: While your butter is melting, chop up about 5-6 Peeps, and set aside.
Step 3: Throw the rest of your Peeps into the melted butter and stir until they are melted.
Step 4: Add your 12 oz. box of Golden Grahams, stirring well so that all of the cereal gets coated in the marshmallow/butter mixture.
Step 5: Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 dish. Press down the cereal using parchment paper to keep your hands from getting sticky. (Thank you Amber for that tip!)
This is what it should look like. It is tinted a little pink because of the Peeps we used.
Step 6: Sprinkle the reserved Peeps to the top.
Step 7: Chop up all the chocolate you are using and put in a bowl to melt. (You can use a double broiler if you have one, but I don't.) Melt the chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until completely melted.
Step 8: Pour the chocolate over the cereal mixture and wait until it hardens.
Step 9: Gobble it up! These are way better than traditional S'mores!

And of course, here are a few pics of the girls while they were anxiously waiting for the chocolate to cool.
I love this picture :)
Addison said, "Shhhh! Keep your voices down while I am on the phone!" Guess she's heard THAT a few times!

Hope you guys enjoy this recipe!


Indoor S'mores


INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 TBSP Butter
  • 12 oz box of Golden Graham cereal
  • 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows, 1-1/4 cup reserved. (I used 15 Peeps, 5 reserved.)
  • 23 oz bag of chocolate chips (I used 3 chocolate bunnies.
DIRECTIONS:
  • Step 1: Melt 8 TBSP of butter in a large pot. (You will be adding a 12 oz box of cereal to this, so make sure there is enough room!)
  • Step 2: Chop up your reserved Peeps, if you are not using mini marshmallows.
  • Step 3: Add your marshmallows, all but the reserved 1-1/4 cup.
  • Step 4: Add your 12 oz. box of Golden Grahams, stirring well so that all of the cereal gets coated in the marshmallow/butter mixture.
  • Step 5: Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 dish. Press down the cereal using parchment paper to keep your hands from getting sticky
  • Step 6: Sprinkle the reserved Peeps to the top.
  • Step 7: Chop up all the chocolate you are using and put in a bowl to melt. (You can use a double broiler if you have one, but I don't.) Melt the chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until completely melted.
  • Step 8: Pour the chocolate over the cereal mixture.
  • Step 9: Gobble it up! These are way better than traditional S'mores!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea!!! You are genius. Those look super yummy! Thanks for linking my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete