Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Press Broken or Loose Eyeshadow

As you all know, I am a bit of a makeup girl, and one of my pet peeves is having an eyeshadow break! (Especially this one, it's called Red Pink from NYX.) However, there IS a way to save your eyeshadow! I mean, you spent the money on it, and it would be a shame to waste it.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to do it.
First thing you need to do is to break your eyeshadow up even more into a powder. (You can do this in the same container that it came in if you want. I just transferred mine to a pan so that I can fit it into my UNII palette.) Oh..and BTW, it would be helpful if you stuck a clean paper towel underneath it to catch the fallout, but I forgot this step. Oh well!)

I used a toothpick to grind the powder down. You can use a sterile bobby pin, or anything that is sterilized and clean to get the job done. (Remember, this IS going on your eyes, so sterilize!)

Now, take a medicine dropper and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Add the rubbing alcohol a little at a time until you get a "goopy" consistency, maybe a little thicker than a cake batter consistency.



Like this. Be patient. This does take a little bit of stirring. Make sure you scrape around the edges to get all of the eyeshadow incorporated.


Now, take the pan and pick it up off of the counter a tiny bit. Now drop it. Yes, that's right, drop it! Keep doing this just to even out the mixture.
Then let it sit for about 30-45 minutes, depending on how much alcohol you put in it.


When the eyeshadow has set, and you can touch the top of it without your finger getting wet, then it is ready to press.
Take a clean paper towel and gently press the powder down. There should not be a lot of wet eyeshadow on your paper towel if you let it dry long enough.

And here you go, just let this dry overnight!
You can also press loose eyeshadow this way. I had a couple of Loreal Hip High Intensity Pigments that I wanted to press. I wasn't crazy about the consistency of these eyeshadows. I thought they were way too chunky. They are much, much better now that they are pressed!








3 comments:

  1. WOW wished I would have known this a week ago when I threw away my favorite PURPLE!!!! :) Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber...that is awesome!! Granted I really don't wear makeup, and I think I only own two eyeshadows...seriously...but this is a GREAT, helpful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!!!! Amber you are just awesome with all your goodies that you come up with. I know quite a few ppl I will be sending to read your new blog. Even though I don't wear make up every day this will definitely come in handy.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete