Monday, January 9, 2012

Salted Caramel Sauce

Earlier this year, I had surgery to remove my wisdom teeth. I decided not to have the anesthesia since it costs more, and let's just say that if I had to do it over again... drug me up! Maybe I am a wimp, but it was HORRIBLE. I decided I would rather go through labor again. (Although, I am sure that if I were actually in labor, I would be thinking I'd rather have the wisdom tooth extraction.)
Anyway, while I was laid up in bed, I realized that we had the cooking channel for free that week. WOOHOO! I caught an episode of Kelsey Nixon's show called "Kelsey's Essentials", and she made salted caramel sauce. And even though I was in pain, throwing up, and bleeding.. I still wanted to make salted caramel sauce. SO, I finally did! I used her recipe as a base, and made a couple of changes. (More salt and butter....what?! In my defense, the butter that I bought came in 4 TBSP sections, so I was lazy and threw it all in.) Had I known how easy this really was, or how delicious, I would have made it sooner.
I've been adding a bit to my coffee in the morning, with a splash of creamer. It takes the place of sugar...just tastier! You can do whatever you want to with this. It makes a great topper for ice cream or cheesecake, or whatever your heart desires! :)

Salted Caramel Sauce

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a slow boil without stirring.(While your sugar mixture is on the stove get all of your other ingredients measured and ready to add.) Continue to boil the sugar water (about 5-6 minutes) until it reaches an amber color. Remove mixture from heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will harden for a few seconds and bubble up, but continue to whisk until everything is smooth. Stir in the butter and salt. Transfer to a mason jar and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Target sells this...but I bet yours is better..and cheaper! Oh, and to rub it in..you dont have a Target! ;) We have an old fashioned soda shop downtown that has amazing homemade ice cream. They have one called SALTY DOG that is caramel and sea salt. SO. YUMMY. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete