Monday, September 26, 2011

Donuts vs. Doughnuts

So it all started with a quick trip into a local antique shop called The Huckleberry. They had TONS of great finds, and what did I come home with?? A donut cutter!! (I snagged some cookie cutters that I am planning on using today as well.) But of course, since I bought the donut cutter, I had to make donuts, otherwise it wouldn't have been a needed purchase, and I assure you, at the time, I felt like I "needed" the donut cutter.

(And just as a side note: Is it Donut or Doughnut? Well, I spent all of my energy making these things, so I am going for the simpler spelling.. you know, to save energy. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Apparently my spell check is okay with either)

Let's just say... we don't pay our local donut shop enough. I mean this was a long process! I was thinking, "I will NEVER make donuts again! Sheesh!"...until I tasted one, and OH MY GOODNESS! There is nothing like a fresh homemade donut and a cup of coffee! I decided that I wanted to get out my family china to eat them on, especially since this donut required so much effort!

(This china was passed down to me from my mother, who got this as a wedding present from my Dad's Aunt Lilo. She bought it in Bavaria, Germany, which is where my grandmother if from, so this set is special to me. :))

Rolling the donuts in sugar was apparently not enough sweetness--I had to make up for with my cup of cream and sugar..with a little coffee added. :) And yes, I did eat off of my fancy china while sitting outside on an old rickety picnic table..which I happen to like, even if it does look like it should go in the trash. Don't worry, I hammered all of the nails down so they wouldn't snag my jeans.

I used a Brown Butter glaze for these and I thought they were YUM!

And who can resist this?? I made half with a cinnamon sugar coating and the other half with a Brown Butter Glaze.

Here is the recipe if you are feeling like a baker today! I promise, it was a lot of steps, but SO worth the end result!

BASIC RAISED DOUGH
INGREDIENTS:
•3 Tbsp. active dry yeast, divided
•1 C. milk, heated to 110 degrees F, divided
•2 to 2-1/2 C. bread flour, divided
•2 tablespoons sugar
•1 tsp. vanilla extract
•3 egg yolks
•1/2 stick of butter
•vegetable oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, dissolve 2 tbsp. of yeast into 3/4 c. of heated milk (110 degrees). Add 3/4 C. four and stir until it is like a paste. Cover and let rest in a warm spot for 30-minutes.
2. Combine the remaining yeast and milk in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add the rested flour/yeast mixture, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg yolks. Mix until smooth. Turn off the mixer and add flour, 1/2-cup at a time, until your dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, and up to 12-hours.
3.Line a baking sheet with a non-terry dish towel and dust it with some flour. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/2 thick. Cut out with a donut cutter, or a cookie cutter.
4. Place the donuts on a baking sheet at least 1-inch apart and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough proof anywhere from 5-20 minutes, until the dough springs back slowly when you touch it with your finger.
5. Put about 2-inches of oil in a large pot. (I used a large cast-iron skillet). The donuts will rise to the top, so don't worry with trying to cover them with oil. Cook on one side about 1-2 minutes and then flip and cook the other side.
6. Remove and drain on a rack over a paper towel until cooled.
7. Glaze the donuts or coat them in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

BROWN BUTTER GLAZE
INGREDIENTS:
•3 Tbsp. butter
•1-1/2 C. powdered sugar
•1 to 2 tbsp. milk
1. Cook butter in a pan on the stove top over medium heat until the solids in the butter separate and begin to brown. Remove from Heat immediately.
2. Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.

Recipes adapted from Doughnuts by Lara Ferroni

3 comments:

  1. I say doughnuts. You say donuts. It's the difference between American English and proper Emglish :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. yes, donuts is definitely slang! Which is more my language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delish! And I like the mixture of fancy china with a rickety table... right up my alley :)

    ReplyDelete