Monday, March 28, 2011

Salty Balls!

I know, I know! I didn't come up with the name people! I actually got the inspiration for this recipe from watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Guy visited a place called Maui's Dog House in New Jersey. They serve food in dog bowls, and the food mostly consists of different types of hot dogs.
They also briefly mentioned a dish called "Salty Balls" and they said it was salt-brined potatoes. I don't know why, but it sounded so good to me!
This recipe is so easy, and so full of flavor!

Here is a little history for you: Salt potatoes originated in Syracuse and once comprised the bulk of a salt worker's daily diet. During the 1800s, Irish salt miners would bring a bag of small, unpeeled, substandard potatoes to work each day. Come lunch time, they boiled the potatoes in the "free-flowing" salt brine

This reminds me of a fabulous book that I am reading right now-New York, by Edward Rutherford. It's a historical fiction novel based on the history of New York...the beginning of America. It follows one family throughout the timeline, from the 1600's through today. It even has George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Ben Franklin as characters! It makes me wish those boring history books in school were written like this! Reading this does make me recall learned history lessons though. It's neat how we have the term "Benedict Arnold" (another character and real life person) and where we get the song Yankee Doodle Dandy from. It all makes sense now! ;) These are just a few of the "Ahh-ha" things that I have taken from this book...but I digress...back to the taters.
Okay first you take your clean, scrubbed potatoes and put them in a pot with 6 cups of water and 1 cup of salt. Yes, you heard me, just DO IT! Now, I let mine sit in this water for about 4 hours to soak.
When it was time for supper, I just put them on to boil for about 20 minutes. Boil them until they are tender and you can insert a fork in them. Once they are done, you drain them, and the skin looks like this due to the salt. The skin gets all wrinkly and white.
Now, just throw some butter in there with them, and enjoy! These are seriously good! The texture of the insides are almost creamy-like and smooth.
I have never eaten any of these from Maui's, but here is my take on the dish. I figured I had better come up with something, because there is no way I am making a trip to New Jersey, just for the potatoes.
Here is a little video on Maui's if you are interested in checking it out!

8 comments:

  1. I watched this one last night also! I wanted to try them! haha I'll have to try out this recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this recipe. I just watched this show and the same thing happened to me, I just wanted to taste them they sounded so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just seen the programme n the UK - similar to Canary Islands "wrinkled potatoes"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have not eaten at Maui's - then you cannot make Salty Balls like theirs. He brines them overnight in a special brine...what you have made above is a standard salt potato.... while good, NO WHERE NEAR MAUI'S!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on all tho I'm not sure where you got the overnight thing from and the brine is clearly more them salt if you have had Mauis famous salty balls the taste Is that more then salt could provide, it takes the right ingredients ,right temp,and most importantly timing

      Delete
    2. Need the Maui vinegar in there with the kosher salt

      Delete
  6. Im from Jersey, and the salty balls are awesome at Maui's Dog house, my other favorite is their Shrimp poor boy's, and its definitely worth a trip to North Wildwood. Maui's is also just a few blocks from one of Jersey's best boardwalk's.

    ReplyDelete